The History of Friendly House:
In 1920, the Phoenix Americanization Committee established Friendly House as part of a local initiative to assist new immigrants in transitioning their lives to Arizona. The organization was modeled after the national settlement house projects implemented by the federal government. The settlement house projects were created to assist families in need, and help immigrants become established in America by offering services aimed to promote literacy, citizenship, patriotism, and English language skills.
Now approaching a century as a charitable organization, Friendly House has evolved to address multiple needs in the community. For decades, the mission has remained the same – to promote success and independence.
Today, Friendly House offers programs in Early Childhood Development, Youth Education Services, Family and Crisis Services, Workforce Development, Adult Education, Homecare for the Elderly, and Immigration and Citizenship Services. In 1997, Friendly House established Academia Del Pueblo Elementary Charter School that serves students from Kindergarten to eighth grade.